Thursday, October 18, 2012

Couch to 5K and the Blue Mountain 5K

This summer I re-entered the world of running. It's been about 10 years since I've successfully committed to a running program. In the past I joined Running Room clinics and found them to work for me. This summer though I didn't have the time to go out to a clinic so instead I installed the Couch to 5K app on my iphone. 

What I liked about this program:
  • there were voice instructions at the beginning, middle and end, as well as occasionally throughout for encouragement. 
  • the voice was nice sounding and not annoying! :)
  • my music that I had loaded on my iphone played automatically when the running program started
  • how the program started and how it ended
  • the map of my route when completed
  • the log book
What I disliked:
  • at week 5-day 2, I went from running 8 min, walking 5 min to running for 20 minutes straight on week 5 - day 3. It seemed to be a big leap! I just adjusted as I saw fit. This was the only week that didn't work for me.
  • I wish I could have extended the length of time of each week's program. Often my route went longer than the program. So even though my run was still going, the program was done and therefore the distance wasn't measured, or my route. 
Overall however, this was a very effective program. It worked! I did my first 5K last weekend at Blue Mountain. The course was flat. It started and finished at Blue Mountain Village. The t-shirts and medals were the nicest we've seen. It poured and the temperature was iffy - but that's the life of a runner! It was a small group of runners. I think there were more doing the half-marathon. Ear buds were allowed on the course (which was nice - since I cannot run without music) and there were a number of kids in the 5K. 

Next goal: 10K Resolution Run on Dec. 31st!




No comments: