Thursday, February 28, 2008

Learning to Read!

Mason and I have been working from the book, "Teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons". I wouldn't say that he loves it but it seems to work. My sister-in-law Silvia used it with her 5 homeschooled children and was quite successful with it. I can't believe how far he has come since September. He is quite comfortable with all of his sounds. In the fall we were lucky if we did one reading lesson a week but since Christmas we've been doing one a day sometimes more. He is gaining confidence with sounding out his words and is reading some sentences. Today he read his first book. He doesn't have a lot of tolerance for boring so the early readers are going to be a struggle! He seems to like the pictures in this reading instruction book so that's good. He's also doing super with the words in his word box. They're not easy words either but he's really picking them up. Some are sight words and others he's sounding out. Yeah!!

We've also been working on addition. I think that this is going to go more smoothly than the reading, although bribes work awfully well when it comes to reading. It's amazing the progress he makes when smarties are involved. Mickey is ready to start but I'm holding off because I don't want her to surpass Mason! It's possible.

I've also introduced the clock this past week and he has a good grasp of telling time on the hour.

No comments: